Gilbert has a Business Analytics degree from the University of Waterloo. For now, his duty is to analyze the online casino business processes to find out what to improve.
To understand the local gambling market and find out whether it’s developing rapidly, it’s worth considering global information as well. Below, we’ll highlight some general gambling statistics:
- The Online Gambling market is expected to achieve a revenue of US$95.05 billion by the end of 2023, with an expected annual growth rate (CAGR 2023–2027) of 8.54%. This growth trajectory is projected to lead to a market value of US$131.90 billion by 2027.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a significant increase in online gambling activity as users have been allocating more time for home-based activities.
- User penetration in the Online Gambling market is estimated to reach 2.9% by 2027.
- Among various countries, Canada is projected to have the highest user penetration rate in the market, with a forecast rate of 46.8%.
The Most Popular Software
Due to the variety of casino games and their types, people will gain more gambling opportunities in order to test software with the highest odds. This can include poker, blackjack, any title of online slots, a range of video lottery terminals, bingo, titles with a dealer, or many other popular gambling pursuits. In 2018, 45.53 percent of respondents aged 18 to 29 years played blackjack, poker, and roulette in real-money casinos over a 12-month period.
Furthermore, every bettor has the opportunity to place bets on bookie sites and events like horse racing and football, or indeed any new trend that punters might choose to suit their tastes. Thus, you don’t need to buy tickets for a certain event to bet on its results via a bookmaker.
As for the statistics regarding gambling machines, the odds range from a one-in-5,000 to a one-in-34-million chance of winning the top prize.
Canadian Gambling Statistics
Our gambling industry statistics will also display details about individuals living in Canada in particular, considering the average payout, game preferences (sportsbooks, lotteries, or other activities), preferred payment methods (e.g. Neteller), and more. Let’s consider these factors to understand this sector better:
- The Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG) reported that, in 2021, the total revenue for the country reached 2.2 billion CAD. Compared to the results for the previous year, this is much lower than the 4.3 billion Canadian dollars the industry generated.
- In Ontario, the number of electronic gaming machines (EGMs) is larger compared to other Canadian provinces, counted as 24,000 in 2019. The next state in terms of market size is Alberta.
- In 2020, the British Columbia Lottery Corporation recorded a total revenue of CAD 2.53 billion.
- In 2020, the ‘Casino & Community Gaming’ segment contributed the highest amount of company revenue, surpassing CAD 1.83 billion in income for the country.
Responsible Gambling Statistics
In Great Britain, in 2021, respondents in the age group of 35 to 44 were most likely to identify as problem gamblers, at 0.6 percent of users, followed by respondents in the 16 to 24 age group. According to these gambling statistics, this is not a large amount, but any player should consider the risks taken during real money gameplay. Losses may take place at any time, so risks are always there. Plus, problem gambling can lead to genuine gambling addiction, which may result in serious consequences.
Sometimes these problems are referred to as ‘gambling disorder behavior’ or ‘compulsive gambling’. In this manner, the availability of versatile options, like self-exclusion, advances safe gameplay and results in positive effects in terms of the responsible gambling approach. Users can learn more about symptoms and ways to treat the problem and deal with mental health (e.g. the CCHS problem) due to professional organizations like the American Psychiatric Association.
Our research shows that, in cases where users need professional treatment, it’s worth contacting organizations and groups that focus on problem gambling and are well-informed on understanding the difference between this and other problems to help a compulsive gambler. These can include associations like GamStop, Gamblers Anonymous, and others. Plus, you should keep in mind general advice regarding staying safe. For example, avoid alcohol, stress, and drug abuse when gambling.
Men and Women in Gambling
Research shows that males and females gamble somewhat differently, indeed, even showing differences within the same family. This may surprise some but, in 2016, according to the Statista source, 61% of male and 65% of female respondents were involved in different forms of gambling, such as lotteries, instant win games, and scratch tickets. However, in 2022, another survey showed that this percentage changed and showed that 51% of gamblers are female compared to 49% males. Thus, we can see that the percentage is now almost equal, so men and women are as likely to place online bets in the Canadian gambling industry.